Monday, December 7, 2009

Mysteries of the Kingdom

For the past 18 months or so, my job at church has been "the guy who puts together the ward bulletin/sacrament meeting program." It hasn't been a bad calling at all, especially considering some of the other jobs out there (i.e., Cub Scout Leader). It has even allowed me to have a bit of fun.
Last year I decided to put in a small tidbit about the outcome of the annual BYU-University of Utah football game. Since it wouldn't be appropriate to just announce a score, though, I made it in the form of a puzzle. I bolded letters throughout the program which, when put together, spelled "Utah beat BYU 48-24." Apparently, our then-second counselor found the puzzle so interesting that he completely zoned out during a bishopric meeting, staring at the program so intently that the bishop asked what was on his mind.
I couldn't exactly do the same this year, because I had to print up the program about 10 days early due to an out-of-state vacation. But when I got home, I already had a phrase ready to go, couresy of BYU Quarterback Max Hall.
I decided to be a bit more creative with my code this time around, however. Bolding would just be repetitive, so I misspelled words intentionally. Fourteen of them, in fact. Each mistake, in this case, was a clue. I'll post the answer in a couple of days, so if you want a crack at the puzzle, let me know in the comments and I'll send a copy of the program to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment